Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 1


It's Friday night here and I am exhausted!  It makes me chuckle how insane the days are--I mean, the things that are done to 'get by' just never cease to amaze.  I don't know where to start in expressing my thoughts--there is so much to take in with just being in Africa, let alone experiencing the clinical medicine side of Kijabe.  I am on call all weekend for the ICU but have lectures to prepare for the nurse anesthesia students for Monday morning--so it'll just be a work weekend.  That's ok, next weekend I'm going to hike Mount Longonot and see Lake Nakuru (flamingos!)...


Big, juicy living room
Kijabe Hospital is a Christian mission hospital that was founded in 1915 and serves as a referral center for the whole country, really.  With that wide referral base, they see a lot of very specific diseases...for example, and as I mentioned previously, neural tube defects are repaired daily here (and many kinds in a day, at that).   As you can imagine, a 300 bed hospital (with outpatient clinics) requires a lot of support staff and so there is a community around the hospital with schools and rickety shops and the like.  In the evenings after I am out of the hospital, I have been exploring the area on runs down the mountain and through the brush.  Let me tell you, running at 8,000 feet is no joke--I've got more than a few hills that I'd like to conquer in the next two weeks.  Wildlife is everywhere on these runs and I'm not going to lie, it's a mix of wonder and fear--so many unfamiliar animals flying/running out as I go.  It's ok, no mambas or rabid baboons yet!

Trail to my place--it isn't much to look at but check the view...
My favorite part of this trip so far is to see the enmeshment of the spiritual in the medical care of these patients.  Part of our 'OR timeout' before incision is made is to pray over the patient, and I gladly do (don't worry, I open my eyes for the long-winded ones).  It is as though things are as they should be (and will be) when Jesus is praised openly for recoveries and equally trusted openly when things don't look good.  It is liberating in both circumstances: liberating from pride in the successes and liberating from depression/frustration in the failures.  My tendency is toward seeing myself at the center of success or failure, underscoring the importance of praise/genuine thankfulness to me.

Rift Valley, aka Valley of Megiddo "Armageddon," extends from Africa to Jerusalem and is right out my back door!


3 comments:

The Vaughts said...

An amazing thing to discover as you are talking about the enmeshment of spiritual confidence in Christ combined with medicine there. I never would have thought of that aspect about healthcare in America, but it makes complete sense! I think we can apply that to all areas though... trusting God in what seems to be failures or trials and praising Him for successes. It's amazing how small we are, yet how big we become in our minds.

Thank you for blogging about your trip as you go! It is priceless for us. Love you Tim and holding you before the Father daily!

Ban said...

Tim, what a blessing to read your blogs. I can not wait until next year, where I will be in your place (hopefully). May God bless you and continue to give you new insights and the strength to minister to the people.

Ban

Kelly said...

Thanks Tim,

All praise and honor to Christ our King! Stay safe there. We will be praying for you and those you reach. May precious lost souls be saved for Christ. Kelly